Pet Behavior Counseling in Portland, Maine
It’s crucial to be able to recognize strange changes in mood or behavior in pets because they can’t communicate when something is wrong.
Pet Behavior Counseling
Pets can’t tell you something is wrong, so it’s important to be able to spot unusual shifts in mood or behavior. These changes are often a symptom of an underlying medical issue like illness or injury and could indicate more serious health problems. Don’t assume that sudden abnormal behavior is just your pet “acting out”; they could be trying to express that they are sick or in pain. Identifying and treating the root cause of the behavior often returns the animal to normalcy, so it is crucial that you report any shifts in behavior to your veterinarian.
Example behavioral changes include:
- Increased aggression
- Confusion/spatial disorientation
- Decreased activity level, lethargy
- Restlessness and agitation
- Separation anxiety
- Unusual vocalization (barking, howling, whimpering)
- Loss of appetite
- Incontinence, loss of bladder or bowel control
- Inability to perform normal memory-related procedures like recognizing familiar family members or following standard commands
If you notice your pet exhibiting any of the above behaviors, give us a call at (207) 761-8033 as soon as possible! Our experienced staff can determine the medical cause for your pet’s unusual behavior and work thoroughly to fix the problem, helping them return to their happy and loving selves.